Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Harley left just in time. Heather called and was pulling up with Ava. "Hi Daddy! Miss me?" she asked, giving him a hug. "You know it, sweetheart!" he answered. "Take your stuff upstairs, please. I have to talk to Mom." he said to her. Ava did as he asked after she kissed and hugged her Mom bye.

Heather looked at Richie, "What's up?"
"I just wanted you to know I'm going to be having a talk with Ava tonight." he informed her. "About?" she asked. "I'm seeing someone and it's taking somewhat of a serious turn. It's time I tell her and they meet." he said. "Serious huh? How serious, Rich?" she inquired, feeling a tinge of jealousy, but still cocky, knowing he'd never love anyone the way he did her. "I'm in love!" shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders. His hands in the air. "I haven't felt this in a very long time. I'm kinda blown away. I can't fuck this up." he said. "Who is she? If you don't mind me asking?" she wanted to know who she was, so she could size her up. "Your gonna laugh, Heth. Harley Stewart!" he said. Her eyes lit up with a smile on her face, "She's beautiful, Rich. She feel the same about you?" He nodded, "Yep!" he sighed. "She just left here 5 minutes before you called."
"She lives in LA?" Heather asked. "No, Nashville. She's on her way to the airport now." Heather nodded, understanding. "Think I'm gonna marry her!" he said and Heather felt the sting in her cheeks.
"Marry her?" she asked with disbelief. "Yeah! I mean not right now, but I feel a certain comfort with her that I haven't felt since you. I hope there isn't a problem with that?" he half heartedly asked. "Nope! Very surprised is all." softening to the idea a bit. "I understand. Imagine my surprise. Never thought I'd want to do that again." he said. "Good luck, Richie. I really just want you to be happy. You deserve that. You were a good husband." she said as she gave him a small hug. "Thanks Heth! Means a lot." he was happy that after all this time, she could say that to him. "Good luck with telling Ava. I think she will be ok." she told him as she headed out the door. "If you need reinforcement, call me, ok?"

Richie turned and headed back into the living room relieved that Heather would help him if needed. Sitting on the couch and smiling at what happened on it earlier that morning. "Hey, Ava?" he yelled.
From the distance he heard, "What?" yelled back down. Richie hated that. "COME HERE, PLEASE!" he yelled back. Richie's Mom and Dad taught him that you come running when called. He picked and chose his battles carefully with Ava. That wasn't really one worth having. "What's up?" Ava said running into the room. "Sit down, honey." he instructed, pointing to the chair accross the couch coffee table. "Did I do something wrong?" she asked. "I don't know, Ava, did you?" he questioned. "No, Daddy! So what's with the sit down?". Richie studdered a bit, searching for the right words. "Um, well" he didn't really know how to put it out there. "Spill it Pops!" she said laughing. Richie frowned and threw a couch pillow at her, which made him laugh. He loved Ava so much, he wanted her approval and acceptance. "I'm seeing someone, sweetheart." he just blurted it out. "Ok!" she said. "I think it's going to be very serious and I would like you to meet her. I've invited her to attend the award thingy with us." Ava raised her eyebrows, "What's her name?" she asked. "Harley" he said. "Question 2...How old is she?" Richie chuckled, "42" he answered. "Question 3...Kids?". Richie shook his head, "I'll answer any question you have, honey. None, she has no children." he said smiling at her, loving her curiousity and frankness. "Harley? What kind of name is that? Is she a biker chick, Dad?". Richie let out a loud laugh. "No, honey! She is a country singer. Not a biker chick!" he told her. "HARLEY STEWART, Dad?" Richie nodded, "The one and only!"
"Oh My GAWD!" She yelled. "That's super cool, daddy! I can't wait to meet her! I'm a big fan!" Ava informed him of something new. "Does she like you a lot too? Ya know her husband died, right?" she asked. "Yeah, she really likes me. I know about Tim. It's very sad." he told her. "Be nice to her, daddy! She may be fragile." Ava thought to give him advice. Richie found that to be extremely sweet. "I love you, sweetheart! Thanks for the advice. I promise to always be nice to her." he assured her.
"Cool! Can I go back upstairs now? Charlie is waiting for me to call her." she asked, really wanting to be done talking about this. "Go on!" he said as Ava jumped up heading upstairs. "Hey?" Ava stopped, "What?" she asked impatient. "Any homework?" he asked. "No!" she ran upstairs.

Ava was turning into a beautiful teenager. Her attitude was all teenager, but once in a while a very adult thing comes out of her mouth.

1 comment:

  1. Gotta love teenagers lol. Ava sounds like a very sweet kid who just wants her daddy to be happy. Now bring on the meet between Harley and Ava.

    ReplyDelete