Thursday, July 19, 2012

Chapter 30



Chapter 30

Harley was finishing up all her traveling preperations, after she finished with the fencing company. Working out all specifications of what she wanted. Going over in her mind the crazy phone call from Richie earlier that day. It really bothered her that he thought she would do that. Obviously, he was a man who was dealing with some deep underlying insecurities of his own.  Harley knew she would have to work a little harder to build his self confidence. Heather must have really stuck it to his heart. All Harley wanted to do was love him and make him happier than he had been in years. Harley snapped out of her thoughts, realizing she was sitting on the floor of her closet, picking out shoes to take. Suddenly, she knew what pulled her back to reality, the doorbell. Was it worth seeing who it was? The police chased off most of the annoying paparazzi. Could it be a straggler? FUCK! Whoever it was, wasn't giving up. Getting off the floor, she ran downstairs. Breathlessly, she swung open the door. It was Maria, her publicist. "Oh my God! Hey sweetie!" Harley said, happy to see her and pulling her inside, to hug her. "What brings you all the way out here?" she asked, letting her go. "I have something to run by you, but I felt it needed to be done in person." Maria said. "Oh! Well, come on in. Sounds serious? Can I get you something to drink? Some iced tea?" she asked, leading Maria into the living room. "Sure, I'd love some, with sugar, please?" Harley nodded. "Sit down and I'll be right back." Harley returned a few minutes later, "You know I just love that picture!" Maria said, pointing to a picture sitting on the end table, next to her. Harley smiled, "Yeah, one of my favorites too." she said. "So what's up? Talk to me." Harley didn't like beating around the bush. Maria cleared her throat. "i was contacted by the VP at CMT. Asking if you would be willing to perform on they're awards show in 2 weeks." Harley's eyebrows narrowed, "This is the BIG thing, you came here for? Seriously?" she asked. "Well, yes and no! There's more." she said. Harley's hands came together as in prayer. "you know I adore you, but I have no patience for this. Just say it!" she told her. "Ok! They want a tribute to Tim." Harley nodded. "What kind of tribute? Why am I needed for that?" she asked. "They want you to sing with him again. A duet of yours." she explained. "Kind of impossible, ya think?" Harley was getting irritated. "Not entirely! You will walk out all glamorous and being singing, when the video version of Tim will be playing behind you." explaining that she will turn sideways to face Tim.  Harley cleared her throat and sat back in her seat. Feeling like she had been sucker punched. "Why? Why do they want this? Ratings? I won't exploit Tim for ratings!" Harley was trying her best to understand what and why they wanted this. "It's coming up on the anniversary of his passing, Harley. They want to celebrate his music and the love between the two of you." Harley nodded, "Of course! I know what's coming up!" she said standing up and excusing herself for a bathroom break. Harley walked into the bathroom and shut the door. She had forgotten! How could she forget? She knew how she forgot. His name was Richie! "I'm sorry, Tim. I'm so sorry!" she said softly to herself. the tears fell down her cheeks. "This is so hard. Falling in love with someone new and letting go of the past, while the world still wants to hang on to it. Do I give them what they want or walk away?" she realized Tim wasn't going to answer her. Wiping her face and hands, she headed back to the living room. "Harley, I'm really so sorry! Now you understand why I came here?"  Maria said. Harley looked at her, "It's ok. How much time do I have before I have to give a solid yes or no?" she asked, feeling she needed time to think about it.  "Monday, Harley. If you don't do it, they don't want you!" she said. "That's harsh! I've been hit with a lot of harshness today! I'm about done! Monday will be fine. I'll call you!" Maria stood up and hugged Harley. Seeing some suitcases by the stairs, "Your traveling somewhere?" she asked. "Yep! Heading to LA tomorrow morning to spend the weekend with Richie." she said smiling. "Harley, it's ok to move on, ya know? It happens. You can't stay alone forever. Tim would want this for you. It's really good to see you smiling." she said. "On that note, have a wonderful time. We will talk Monday?" she confirmed. "Absolutely! I'll still be in LA but I'll call." she said, hugging one last time.

Harley sat back down in the chair she was sitting in earlier. Took her favorite picture of her and Tim in her hands. Running her finger over his face. She began to speak out loud. "Well Richie, you want a woman to talk to you? Your gonna help me decide this, because I can't do it if it hurts you. Tim will forgive me. Would you?" Putting the picture down, she headed up to her closet to finish her packing, once and for all. Again, yelling out loud, "Will this day just end already? SHIT!"

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe they expect Harley to to a duet with her deceased husband! That is just cruel let her move on with her life, not live in the past. If CMT wants to do a tribute then let them they don't need Harley for that. Harley talk it over with Richie, yes it might sting for him to hear what CMT is asking but in the long run he will appreciate your honesty.

    ReplyDelete