Sunday, October 28, 2012

Chapter 39

Chapter 39

While both his ladies were sleeping soundly, Richie made phone calls, scheduled meetings,
and planned a nice family dinner for the three of them.

As Richie thought about it, he was relieved Harley met his Mom today and Ava tomorrow.
Overwhelming Harley wasn't what he wanted to do.

Harley only slept for an hour but that was all she needed. It was a very deep sleep.
Walking into the kitchen, to get herself a drink of water, Richie was sitting at the breakfast
nook. "Hey" she said, leaning over to give him a peck on his cheek.

"Hey darlin. Nice rest?" he asked. Harley nodded, pulling down a glass.
"I didn't realize you were so tired today. I'm sorry!" he said.

"Don't be. I really slept well last night. So I shouldn't have needed a nap. Must be what you've
been doing to my body that's wearing me out." she said with a wink and a smile.

"I can stop if you like, sweetheart!" he said, returning her wink and smile.
Harley put out her best pout, simply to say "NO!".

Richie stood and walked over to her, wrapping his arms around her, "Oh honey! Don't pout.
I promise to keep you completely exhausted." he told her, kissing her softly at first, slowly,
he took the kiss deeper. Both Harley and Richie were lost in the embrace and kiss, when
his Mom walked in.

Mrs. Sambora thought she could either speak or clear her throat to interrupt them. She opted to
clear her throat, maybe less of a shock. She was hungry and ready for dinner. Clearing her throat
was effective, as Richie and Harley instantly backed away from each other.

"Mom, how was your nap?" Richie asked. Mrs. S. could see her son was flustered. "It was fine,
Richie. I was thinking about dinner." she said, hoping he had suggestions. "It's only 4 o'clock, Ma.
You eat this early?" he asked. She nodded, "I'm usually in bed at 8 or 8:30. I don't like to eat
too close to bed time."

Richie called his favorite Italian Restaurant, to let them know now was the time to bring it.
Figuring it best to stay in tonight and do the public appearance Monday, all 4 of them.

While the 3 of them sat at the table eating, Mrs. Sambora asked Harley to tell her more about
her husband. "What would you like to know?" she asked, looking slightly uncomfortable,
but enough for Richie to pick up on it.

"Was he a singer too?" she asked. Harley gave her a quick nod, "Yes, he was a very well known
and loved performer." Harley said looking down at her plate.

"Oh, I'm sorry, dear. You miss him. I see it on your face. It never goes away." she said.
"Are you sure your ready to move forward with my Richie?" she asked. Harley nearly
choked on her lasagna. "Mrs. Sambora, I do miss Tim everyday. He was a good man.
But he's gone and he's not coming back. Your son, as you know already, is also a
good man. Different than Tim, but wonderful all the same. He makes me happy. I only
hope I can make him as happy." Harley said, regaining her composure.

Richie took another bite of his shrimp Alfredo and abruptly interrupted his Mom before another
question came out for Harley. "I for one, am very excited to see where this is gonna go.
She's a great girl, Ma. She makes me very happy." he said.

"Well then I guess that's all that matters, son. It doesn't upset you that she misses him?"
Richie took a deep breathe. A sign of frustration, Harley thought. Putting her fork down,
Harley reached for his leg under the table, caressing gently and giving a firm squeeze.

"It doesn't bother me at all. It shows great depth, that she can miss him and still love me
to the extent that she does. I would be more concerned if she had no feelings for him at all,
ya know?" he said, putting his hand under the table and placing it on Harley's.

Changing the direction of the conversation, "What would you like to do tonight, Mom?"
"I think I'd like to relax and watch a movie. Would that be alright?" she said, looking over
at Harley. Everyone agreed, that would be a wonderful way to end the day.

The movie ended a little after 9. Harley looked over at Mrs. Sambora, who was asleep in her
chair. She nudged Richie, to make him aware. "Like clockwork" he said softly. Waking her and
helping her to her room. "Are you all set?" he asked. "I'm good, honey." she said, giving him a
hug and a kiss on the cheek goodnight.

Richie came back out and sat next to Harley. "Your Mom really is adorable. She clearly loves
you so much." she said. "She worries, too much!" he said. "Mom's do that" Harley told him.
Richie caressed Harley's cheek with his fingers. Gazing into each other's eyes, he began to
lean in for a kiss, when his phone rang. Looking over at it, then choosing to ignore it and get
back to Harley. His lips parted on hers. She had no choice but to surrender to him. He
was everything she could want. Sinking deeper into the kiss, when his phone went off again.
First a call, then text, then another call. Pissing him off, he reached for it.

'Urgent Message from Denise', is what he read. He stood up and walked away from Harley.
Opening the text, it read, "Things are bad. I really need to talk to you!"

Richie looked at Harley, "Baby, I gotta make a call. I'm so sorry. I'll just be a sec. I promise."
Harley understood, thinking it was Ava. "It's ok. Go!" Richie stepped out onto the back patio,
dialing Denise.

Harley sat there, on the couch for over 20 minutes. Watching him on the phone. He was getting
angry at times and at other times, he was soft and sweet. Harley thought that Ava must be
in some sort of trouble, when the home phone rang. Harley answered it but was shocked to
hear it was Ava calling her Dad. She explained to Ava, that her Dad was outside on the phone.

Waiting another 20 minutes and what seemed like forever, she walked outside, to get his
attention. He abruptly stopped speaking, as Harley walked up to him. Putting the phone to his
side. Harley reached for his hand and held up the phone to see who he was talking to.

Looking up into his eyes, after reading it was Denise. She simply dropped his hand and said
"Tell Denise, I said 'Hello'. Goodnight, Rich." He frowned, "Baby!" he said, as Harley
turned around and walked back inside. Not turning back to look at him. He knew he had
fucked up and would have to fix this. A deep sigh escaped his lips as he brought the phone
back up to his ear and sat back down. He didn't want to leave Harley waiting long. He knew
the longer he made her wait now, the worse it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment